Importance of a Mobile-Friendly Site
It has never been more important to make sure that your website is mobile-friendly. According to recent statistics, nearly 60% of searches are made from a mobile device. Because of this, Google gives ranking preference to sites that are high quality and mobile-friendly. And even if a non-mobile-friendly site does make it to the first page, consumers won’t like it. In fact, Google says that people are 5 times more likely to leave a site if it is not mobile-friendly.
Test Your Website
Fortunately, Google has created a website, called Test My Site, that tests the mobile-friendly aspects of your website.
Now, all you have to do is type in your website URL and click “Test Now.” In this example, we will use EZNetTools.com
Then, Google will take a few moments to analyze the website and show you a couple interesting facts while you wait.
Then, Google will take you to the next page, which looks like this:
If you scroll down on the page, Google will tell you a little more about your results and also share some interesting statistics.
There are three categories it analyzes: Mobile Friendliness, Mobile Speed, and Desktop Speed. To receive more detailed results, click the blue “Get My Free Report” button and submit your email. It may take a few minutes to an hour to receive your report.
You can also test your website my manually testing it yourself. Go to your website on your Desktop computer and your mobile device. Then ask yourself a few questions:
- Does my website load in less than 3 seconds? (If not, it’s too slow)
- Is the text easy to read? Does it require a user to zoom in and out? (It shouldn’t)
- Does it draw attention to the most important elements or the main message?
- Is it generally easy to navigate? Is it obvious to the user what number to call, where to go, or to activate the call-to-action?
- Would you spend time on the website if it was not your own?
Hopefully, by asking yourself these questions, you’ve found something you can change to improve the friendliness of your site.